[rrd-developers] [RRDCacheD] Developing RRDCacheD as separate project (was: Authentication)

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Sat Apr 11 01:48:20 CEST 2009

Well, if you open the discussion... I'd love to see the following:
  - RRDTool sans rrdgraph at the bottom layer for managing the data storage
  - An HTTP/REST style service that provides remote access to the data
store using semantics that are relatively independent of the rrd details
(at least for store/fetch requests, create can have a pile of specific
args, for example)
  - An RRD graph library that has a pluggable back-end to fetch the data
into which one can easily plug various storage systems, such as local
RRD store, remote RRD store, or a different store altogether.

I believe the current RRDTool is not that far from the above
architecture, but it's not there. Having an HTTP based service on top of
the data layer would allow for a lot of flexibility. Like it or not,
HTTP has become the standard plumbing, at least in my world. Think of
passing the requests through a load balancer to spread the storage
across multiple store servers. Or using HTTPS for security. I believe in
the end the real bottleneck will remain at the disk level and the HTTP
overhead can be accommodated.

Having the graphing be more decoupled from the storage is something that
has been requested many times over, I believe.

Cheers,
Thorsten