[rrd-developers] [RRDCacheD] Developing RRDCacheD as separate project (was: Authentication)

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Sat Apr 11 10:59:43 CEST 2009

Hi Tobi,

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:20:48PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> (sorry for not answering sooner, I am currently hiking in the
> mountains and my net access is somewhat restricted).

there is no rush, enjoy your trip :) Paper is patient, e-mail is
persistent ;)

> I have the impression that you feel rather unhappy about some of my
> design 'decisions' and opinions.

I have to admit that, in fact, that was the trigger to propose the
split and I probably wouldn't have done that out of thin air. Not
because the proposition was made out of defiance, but because
maintaining a separate project is a lot of work and my time is already
limited as is.. And I feel very uncomfortable saying “we should split it
up, but I'm not doing it”.

> Because I will continue to reserve final say about goes and what does
> not go in rrdtool, I suggested a fork, so that you could develop your
> branch of the cached in the way you see fit.

That's not the problem: In my opinion a “monarchy” is the only way a
free software project of this size can work reasonably well. What broke
my patience was not that you made decisions I wouldn't have made, but
that you didn't respond to my arguments.

As I said before: A fork is out of question.

> You could focus on the needs of collectd and develop the cache to be a
> perfect match.

How does collectd come into play here? If I was only concerned about
collectd, I wouldn't have to write RRDCacheD at all – collectd's RRDtool
plugin has had caching since version 4.0, released in June 2007..

Regards,
-octo
--
Florian octo Forster