[rrd-developers] [RRDCacheD] Developing RRDCacheD as separate project (was: Authentication)

Yann JOUANIN yann.jouanin.list at intelunix.fr
Sat Apr 11 13:27:50 CEST 2009

Did a reply with getting the list as destination ...

I just would like to add a point in favour of "keeping RRDCacheD in RRDTool".

As a "end user", in a production environment of a datacenter, I do the decision of which tool has to be used, but I am not the one who administer the servers.

Nowadays, I required an exception to the rule in order to get the right to compile RRDCacheD on this machines. But in a normal running time, administrators refuse to install softwares other than Debian packaged.

Here is my point of view about RRDCacheD when it will be considered as "stable" :

Knowing how most of package repositories work, I think splitting RRDCached from RRDTool could have as effect to have in the most common distribution :

1) RRDTool available but not RRDCacheD
2) RRDTool and RRDCacheD available but not at the same version.

Yann Jouanin
http://www.yannj.fr