[rrd-developers] rfc: later caching

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Fri Apr 17 14:34:10 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 08:38:10AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> disclaimer: this is about 1.5 not 1.4 !
>
> [...]
>
> * the (big) disadvantage is that updatev does not work anymore, and
>   for larger deployments updatev is a cornerstone function in
>   driving holt winters based alerting.

Tobi, I was already planning updatev support along these lines, although I
didn't have an idea when we'd integrate it (i.e. 1.5 vs 1.4.later).

> * it would require the cached to read the header information of the
>   rrdfiles once and cache them internally so that it can calculate
>   the updates without accessing the disk, but since header
>   information is quite small, a decent sized machine could
>   easily keep hundreds of thousands of headers in the cache daemon.

I think the best first approach would be:

 - on the first updatev, take an in-memory copy of the live_head and *_prep
   - no need to do it for update
   - CON: when the daemon starts up, there is heavy read load

 - a copy of the header allows us to do input validation on update strings
   (i.e. correct ds_cnt)

 - split up process_arg() into:
   - parse update string, update in-memory pdp/cdp/*_prep
   - write the RRAs

I thought we'd do it in stages:

(1) Process the update string twice.  Once when updatev received from the
    client (update in-memory copy).  Once when we call rrd_update_r() with
    the update string.

    - minimal changes to the current rrdcached code/data structures
    - CPU overhead minimal, still large delayed IO benefit of rrdcached
    - easiest change that gives updatev support

(2) Process the update string once.  Cache the computed results, and write
    them out to the RRD after delay.

    - requires we re-think rrd_update_r() or create a function to pass
      pre-computed values into the RRD

I'm guessing (1) will be significantly easier than (2), and provide almost
the same functionality (if slightly less efficiently)..  I think staging
it like this would make the most sense.

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/