[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Sun Aug 9 22:44:41 CEST 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:22:26PM +0200, Yann Jouanin wrote:
> It seems the behavior of RRD client when using RRDCacheD can make trouble
> when using RRDCacheD on another host than the one where using client.
>
> The translation between relative path and absolute path is done in client
> code (rrdc_flush) while it should only be done by the server.

Yann,

The client must convert to absolute path because the daemon has no idea
what the cwd is of the client.  This is true even when the client and
server run on the same machine.  i.e.:

    rrdtool update 1.rrd N:1:2
    cd elsewhere
    rrdtool update 1.rrd N:1:2

> This causes update to fail because the path is badly rewritten.
> I had to comment the following line to fix this.

You could:

 * use the same file hierarchy on client and server

 * speak to the daemon directly from your application

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/