[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Tue Aug 11 08:13:24 CEST 2009

Hi Tobi,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:48:30AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> >   * Some magical version of the functions will check some sort of
> >     environment and call the appropriate function.
>
> this is to maintain the present interface ?

well, I would much rather see the end of that argv/argc style interface
and have all functions use an interface in the style of the `*_r'
functions. But as I said: That's my ideal dreamworld.

Maybe a possible transition would be to break ABI compatibility but
provide an optional legacy API. I. e. rename `rrd_update' and friends to
`rrd_update_legacy' (this brakes ABI compatibility). Then provide
something like this:

  /* declaration of rrd_update_local and rrd_update_remote */
  #if RRD_LEGACY_INTERFACE
  /* declaration of rrd_update_legacy */
  # define rrd_update   rrd_update_legacy
  # define rrd_update_r rrd_update_local
  # define rrdc_update  rrd_update_remote
  #else
  /* declaration of rrd_update */
  #endif

> I guess its time to finally push out 1.4 so that the code can move
> again ...

I'd be glad if you could consider my per-socket authorization patch for
the 1.4 release. I think it's a big improvement over the ``restricted
sockets'' (the `-L' command line option). I'll send an updates patch
with docs in a minute..

Regards,
-octo
--