[rrd-developers] Preview for updated RRDTool PHP extension and userland wrapper

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Mon Aug 24 17:06:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am 24.08.2009 16:43, schrieb Dan Cech:
> Benny,
>
> I'm planning to check out this updated patch ASAP and will post my
> comments as soon as I can.

Looking forward.
> One thing that occurred to me with the notes you made about requiring
> particular versions of the rrdtool library is that it may make sense to
> add a check to functions to either fall back to the older library (as is
> currently used in rrd_graph.

I thought about this too, but since rrd_dump_cb_r isn't available before
recently (and the older rrd_dump function requires temporary files on
disk which I want that extension to avoid) You won't even need to
distinguish between RRDtool 1.0 and 1.2 as it won't run on neighter of
them. The mentioned rrd_*_r functions are available since rrdtool 1.2
IMHO, thus doing all the maintainance work to get some old functions
work just because you might happen to meet such an old version doesn't
sound reasonable to me. Patches to make this work are welcome though ;-)

But basically: all functions the library supports with the latest
RRDTool library should basically work with any version it runs on too.
Otherwise you'd create more chaos than necessary (this version already
breaks with the old PHP extension enough so you simply should do a full
cut and ask people to use either a current system, or the old wrapper
(missing some functions).
> Dan

Regards,
BenBE.