[rrd-developers] rrdcached dies when journal reaches 2G (fwd)

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Thu Jul 16 15:10:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 08:42:27PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Hi Kevin
>
> any ideas on how to fix ? large file support or maybe split the
> journal ?

Interesting...

On systems that support large file support (but where it is not the
default), it's possible to use pre-processor macros to select which API to
use.  Typically this increases the size of 'off_t' data type, and aliases
the common function names (i.e. #define fopen fopen64).

For large file support, we need to consider the things that link against
librrd.  We can either require all dependents (transitively) to enable
large file support (bad) or we could remove any functions that use off_t
from the public librrd interface.  It looks like all such functions are
already deprecated.

In the end, it's probably better to just rotate the journals before 2^31
bytes.  That way, we can support systems that do not have large file
support.  There are some implicit assumptions during journal replay that
I'll have to take a look at.

Thoughts?

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/