[rrd-developers] patch to do vertical gradients

Mark Mills extremely at hostile.org
Fri Nov 6 15:20:54 CET 2009

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>>> thanks for this ... it looks cool ... quersion though, is there
>>> some information carying capability in this feature ?

If it was used to carry information, one that might help would be scale
differences. I have had issues in the past where my boss at the time
freaked out when a graph spiked and we had to point out that the one he
was looking at had spiked from bits to kbits... not from mbits to gbits.
;-) A way to color the scale in the area (logarithmically?) would help
when scanning graphs quickly. It wouldn't give the same cool fire effect
but "ripples" in the area paint could effectively replace the need for
grid lines.

I'd also recommend that the default second color be set to the graph
background color with the transparency set to 0x20 and not be forced to
#000000. Might as well make it do something cool by default no matter
what color scheme they use.

Also, I'm jealous of Rian because I've been wanting to write this patch
for like 5-6 years and never had the time. ;-) It looks even better than
I hoped. I'm looking forward to this being in the main build.

--mark