[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Oct 1 14:12:40 CEST 2009

Hi Tobi,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:53:31PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> what I would do now, is this:
>
> * If the client is called on a local daemon  with a relative
>   pathname, the path name gets rewritten.
>
> * If the client is called on a remote daemon with a relative path
>   name, the client aborts with an error since rewriting the path
>   for remote calls makes not sense.

Basically, that sounds like a fair compromise to me. However, I'd go for
not allowing *absolute* path names. If we're using the base-directory
approach in the future (for remote access), then absolute paths won't be
allowed in the future. Relative path names will simply be sent to the
server (without being rewritten) and they are treated as relative to the
respective base directory. I.e. there's gonna be no need to know what
file system layout the daemon uses. Do you agree with that?

I hope to find some time to work on that within the next few day …

Just to make it clear, let me summarize what I'm thinking about:

 * relative path:

   - when accessing a local daemon (i.e. the daemon address specifies a
     unix socket), the path name gets rewritten to allow transparent
     integration into existing solutions (no change)

   - when accessing a remote daemon, the path is not touched at all to
     let the daemon use its base directory

 * absolute path:

   - local daemon: no change

   - remote daemon: abort

> in 1.5 there would be a special rrd file name syntax to specify
> whether you mean to access a local rrd or one managed by a daemon
> be it remote or local.

Great :-) Putting that on top of the current approach (and marking the
current approach as obsolete) would then be a backward-compatible change
and allows for a transition period to let users migrate to the new
scheme.

Cheers,
Sebastian