[rrd-developers] rrdcached + collectd issues

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Oct 10 12:20:37 CEST 2009

Hi Thorsten,

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:46:26AM -0700, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
>  - rrdtool trunk rev 1889 (had trouble compiling collectd with newer
>    versions)

this is a bug introduced in RRDtool in revision 1906: src/rrd_client.h
will do the following check / include:

  #ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
  #include "../rrd_config.h"
  #endif

Of course “HAVE_CONFIG_H” is defined when building collectd - it's using
the autotools, too. The (now globally available) config file will try to
include "../rrd_config.h" and fail because it is not there.

I don't think this inclusion is necessary when building RRDtool:
Basically the same check / inclusion is done within src/rrd_tool.h.
All we have to do is to make sure all .c-files within RRDtool include
this header before including src/rrd_client.h. The only file doing this
in the wrong order is src/rrd_client.c (I just checked).

With the attached patch against revision 1934 I was able to build the
rrdcached plugin of collectd without problems.

Regards,
—octo
--
Florian octo Forster