[rrd-developers] rrdcached performance problem

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Fri Oct 30 17:19:30 CET 2009

Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
>> 37.1 % of the time it spent in “handle_request_update” the daemon is
>> actually waiting for “realloc”. This is (to me) very unexpected and a
>> schoolbook example of “measure before you optimize”.
>>
>> I think we can get rid of this bottleneck by writing a specialized
>> version of “rrd_add_strdup” which reallocates powers of ten. Something
>> like:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> It'd be great if you could give the attached patch a try
> spends all of its time (more than 99 %) in “realloc”. So in consequence
> Test is running, including Kevin's simplification... Thanks for the
> help!!!
Things are again looking much better, almost great I should say! The one
thing that still makes me a bit uncomfortable is that at the end of the
second hour of run-time there was a cpu spike which caused collectd to
grow rapidly. (Still using -w 3600 -z 3600 -f 7200, I put a load of ~50k
tree nodes right from the start.) You can see the graphs at
http://www.voneicken.com/dl/rrd/ look for the rrdcached-6* series. It
flattens out nicely after the spike, but it's one of those things that
tend to bite sooner or later. I'm not sure what to do about it.
Thorsten