[rrd-developers] rrdcached performance problem

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Sat Oct 31 17:52:15 CET 2009

Quick follow-up. I decided to add another 3k updates per second (extra
30k tree nodes) to my test run. See results in
http://www.voneicken.com/dl/rrd/rrdcached-7.png
What's interesting is that the server got somewhat overloaded sitting a
lot in I/O wait. By and large the flush queue length remained under
control, except when doing backups (10pm, 8:30am). Memory usage by
rrdcached and collectd remained under control, but there is a long term
upward-trending slope to rrdcached's memory usage which is not good.
Possibly related to the power-of-two allocator patch that Florian
provided. The graph I find the most interesting one is the disk sdk disk
ops (3rd from the end). Before adding the last chunk of traffic the disk
load was write-dominated, which means that rrds were mostly cached in
memory (5-6 GB left after the processes). After adding the extra load
the disk load became read-dominated indicating that the rrd working set
exceeded memory.

Thorsten