[rrd-developers] Graph data without the graph?

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Sep 10 19:14:35 CEST 2009

Hi Mark,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:54:39PM -0400, Mark Plaksin wrote:
> Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> writes:
> > I think rrd_xport may lend itself better to this task ...
>
> rrd_xport is cool but it doesn't seem as powerful as rrd_graph.  You
> can't, for example, get MAX, MIN, and AVERAGE for a given line.

This is related to something that has bugged me for quite some time in
fact. rrdgraph currently is the only function / tool that provides high
level access to a database that's available to users. Imho, that func-
tionality should rather be made available through rrdfetch (in the C API
as well as in the command line tools). I. e., rrdfetch should take care
of fetching the data and doing the specified calculations (i. e. han-
dling the *DEFs). On the C API level it might even make sense to further
split that up into multiple functions, but I have not looked at that in
depth.

What do others think about that? It might make sense to work on that
before adding any other exporters.

Cheers,
Sebastian