[rrd-developers] Graph data without the graph?

Hamish Marson hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Wed Sep 16 19:36:30 CEST 2009

On 12 Sep 2009, at 11:01, paul wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker schrieb:
>> Today Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>>
>>> [ Comments below, in line ]
>>>
>>> On Thursday 10 September 2009 at 1:14 pm, Sebastian Harl penned
>>> about "Re: [rrd-developers] Graph data without the graph?"
>>>
>>> Hi Sebastian,

>>> When I first started using RRD, I too was struck by the incongruity.
>>> In short, I concur with you.
>>
>> in a sense rrdtool is still a prototype ... being the first oss
>> tool to seriously explore the handling of time series data ... so
>> when looking at the matter today a much more sensible API design
>> could
>> be found I am sure ...
> I would say the world has changed in between ;) With the advent of
> <canvas> and javascript plotting libraries raw data is becoming more
> useful these days.

Or even mangled data... Have the engine do the processing and spit
number out for javascript to graph on a canvas... Maybe all levels
should be catered for in one black box javascript library... Web page
then makes a call, and depending on settings you either get

BE - raw data => Javascript Processes and draws
BE - Processed Data => Javascript just draws graph
BE - Graph => Javascript just updates an image

I can see all 3 being useful at different times and depending on
system load. The Raw data one would perhaps be most useful in real-
time graphing.