[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Sep 26 00:24:14 CEST 2009

Hi Sebastian,

Yesterday Sebastian Harl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:44:17AM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:48:30AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > > I guess its time to finally push out 1.4 so that the code can move
> > > again ...
> >
> > As much as I'd hate to further delay the 1.4 release, I think we should
> > come to a conclusion about further directions first. Else, we might end
> > up with some functionality (I'm e.g. thinking about the client side path
> > "translation") that's going to be hard to support in the future. I know
> > how much you hate to break backward-compatibility, so let's try to avoid
> > some trouble trying to keep that up.
>
> Any further comments on that? Tobi, what do you think about regarding
> RRDCacheD as either a fully networked daemon or some local acceleration
> daemon? As much as I hate repeating myself, I think this should be
> sorted out before 1.4 ?

as I see it, rrdcached in 1.4 is a local acceleration daemon with
some network abilities for the adventurous (since there is neither
authentication nor authorization built in)

this also means that use of the daemon should be transparent,
to use ... for file paths this means at least when running local,
that the curent directory of the rrdupdate command does matter ...

when running remotely this is not the case and should probably  be
handled differenly ... but then again, remote use of rrdcached will
see some further changes with authentication and authorization
anyway ...

I will have time to spend on all my OSS projects in the next few
weeks and will do so. The means 1.4 will definitly come RSN (;