[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Sep 26 12:13:16 CEST 2009

Hi Sebastian,

Today Sebastian Harl wrote:

> > this also means that use of the daemon should be transparent,
> > to use ... for file paths this means at least when running local,
> > that the curent directory of the rrdupdate command does matter ...
> >
> > when running remotely this is not the case and should probably  be
> > handled differenly ...
>
> Hrm ? as I might have mentioned before, I'm not a big fan of inconsis-
> tent behavior - even it that's supposed to handle some specific cases
> "more elegant". Imho that adds more confusion than benefit. Anyway, the
> final decision is up to you, of course.

so maybe I did not parse your previous emails on the subject too
closely, but can you go into detail about how you propose to handle
the path issue consistantly locally and remotely while keeping
rrdtool update working the same way regardles if it is working
directly with the file or through rrdcached ? after all this is
also about consistancy.

> > but then again, remote use of rrdcached will see some further changes
> > with authentication and authorization anyway ...
>
> Yes, but (as far as I see it) that should be possible without breaking
> backward-compatibility (since the fine-grained permission handling has
> been included).

not breaking backward compatibility or at least continuing to
provideing the old interface as well is always a concern for me ...