[rrd-developers] Checking for lua in the configure script

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sun Sep 27 23:46:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

In configure.ac, I found the following shell snippet:

  lua_exec_prefix=`$PKGCONFIG --variable=prefix $f 2>/dev/null`
  # same binaries?
  if test "$lua_exec_prefix/bin/lua" = "$LUA"; then
      # OK, found CFLAGS. Get Lua LFLAGS and modules install dir
      LUA_CFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --cflags $f 2>/dev/null`
      LUA_LFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --libs $f 2>/dev/null`
      LUA_INSTALL_CMOD=`$PKGCONFIG --variable=INSTALL_CMOD $f 2>/dev/null`
      LUA_INSTALL_LMOD=`$PKGCONFIG --variable=INSTALL_LMOD $f 2>/dev/null`
      break
  fi

What's the reason for that check? Debian ships multiple versions of lua
and lets the user chose the default version (through the "alternatives"
system). A symlink /usr/bin/lua is then created pointing to the chosen
version. For the Debian packing of RRDtool I'd like to specify an exact
version though (i.e. LUA=/usr/bin/lua5.1) - in that case, that check
fails though and, thus, LUA_CFLAGS and LUA_LDFLAGS are empty causing a
build failure because the lua header files cannot be found.

TIA,
Sebastian