[rrd-developers] Memory leaks in RRDtool 1.3.x and 1.4.x?

Till Dörges doerges at pre-sense.de
Wed Aug 18 10:20:59 CEST 2010

Hi Tobi,

thanks for your quick response and the patch!

On 18.08.2010 00:04, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

>> As soon as we try 1.3.x or 1.4.x the daemon starts leaking memory, though. The
>> suspect seems to be described here:
>>
>>   http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/ticket/208
[...]
> hmmm pango is so twisted ... have a look at r2117 I think this
> should look a lot better ... at least the 'loss' does not change
> between running graph 100 or 300 times ...

I ran the testcase against r2117 and it looks good. Thanks.

Bootstrapping from SVN took me a moment and in the process I noticed two minor
issues. They do not prevent RRDtool from compiling/working, though:
 -  make distcheck doesn't seem to work
 -  /configure: line 12300: ./libtool: No such file or directory

The latter is probably caused by this:

--- snip ---
~/tmp/rrdtool-1.4-r2117> cat ./configure.ac
[...]
dnl add pic flag in any case this makes sure all our code is relocatable
eval `./libtool --config | grep pic_flag`
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $pic_flag"
--- snap ---

./libtool is present after 'make dist' but apparently not (always?) before.

The former yields this error message:

--- snip ---
~/tmp/rrdtool-1.4-r2117> ./configure && make distcheck
[...]
IEEE Math Checks
checking for fpclassify... no
checking for fpclassify with <math.h>... yes
checking for isinf... yes
checking whether isfinite is broken... no
checking if IEEE math works out of the box... yes
[...]
IEEE Math Checks
checking for fpclassify... no
checking for fpclassify with <math.h>... yes
checking for isinf... yes
checking whether isfinite is broken... no
checking if IEEE math works out of the box... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -ieee switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -qfloat=nofold switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -w -qflttrap=enable:zerodivide... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -mieee switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -q float=rndsngl switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -OPT:IEEE_NaN_inf=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -OPT:IEEE_comparisons=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with fpsetmask(0)... no
checking if IEEE math works with signal(SIGFPE,SIG_IGN)... no
configure: error:
Your Compiler does not do propper IEEE math ... Please find out how to
make IEEE math work with your compiler and let me know (tobi at oetiker.ch).
Check config.log to see what went wrong ...
--- snap ---

Regards -- Till
Dipl.-Inform. Till Dörges                  doerges at pre-sense.de

PRESENSE Technologies GmbH            Sachsenstr. 5, D-20097 HH
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors       AG Hamburg, HRB 107844
Till Dörges           Jürgen Sander              Axel Theilmann