[rrd-developers] Update ex post?

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Tue Aug 24 02:28:03 CEST 2010

  On 8/23/2010 2:13 PM, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> So, I don't see any reasonable way to solve that with the current
> architecture (and I don't see any way how this should be improved).
I believe there is disagreement about what the problem is. You define
the problem as "insert values in the past in a manner that is
indistinguishable from having inserted them at the correct moment in the
first place". Your analysis is correct for that problem.

In real life, the problem tends to be a different one, which is "insert
values in the past in a manner that improves on the current form of the
data, i.e., that makes the resulting RRD more useful than without these
insertions." Put differently, I prefer some inaccuracy in the data over
having data gaps or garbage data in my RRD.

What many of us have built are tools that get at the second problem. It
would be great if the RRD maintainers could accept some of these tools
in the spirit of "sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good".

Thorsten