[rrd-developers] rrdcached support for --template

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 29 01:41:55 CET 2010

The trunk version of rrdtool has support for rrdinfo via rrdcached; so theoretically, this could be used to retrieve the structure so that --template could be supported by rrdupdate via rrdcached.  However it wouldn't vbe a 5min job.  Also, it would necessitate several more actions by rrdtool/rrdcached which would probably negate any benefits of using rrdcached (other than being able to work over the network) so might not be worth the effort.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Ph: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86487

From: rrd-developers-bounces+steve=steveshipway.org at lists.oetiker.ch [rrd-developers-bounces+steve=steveshipway.org at lists.oetiker.ch] on behalf of Tobias Oetiker [tobi at oetiker.ch]

Yesterday Eric Schoeller wrote:

> Is there a plan to enable rrdcached support for 'rrdtool update
> --template ...', and if so what is the approximate time frame? Apologies
> in advance if the feature has already been added and I've missed it.

I don't know of anyone working towards this at present ... the
problem with supporting --template is that it requires knowledge
about the structure of the rrd file which rrdcached does not have
by design ... there are ideas on how to change this (it would also
enable updatev) but the changes would be quite extensive ...