[rrd-developers] new rrd tool php extension

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Sat May 22 18:31:34 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 17.05.2010 21:20, schrieb Tobias Oetiker:
> Hi Benny,
>
> Today Benny Baumann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 17.05.2010 17:09, schrieb Tobias Oetiker:
>>
>>> Hi Miroslav,
>>>
>>> when it all works out, I'll be glad to remove the other php
>>> extensions from the rrdtool repo and place a readme there pointing
>>> to the new, merged extension.
>>>
>> Would be nice. Will need some work on my site to get my SVN (or at least
>> that part) accessible to everyone.
>>
>> I'll announce the where and how here on the list when I'm done with this
>> setup work.
>>
>> Other topic (related to this):
>> Could someone prepare some basic Debian packaging. @Tobi: Maybe by
>> including it into the normal source package just like the Perl and
>> Python Extensions?
>>
> I would be glad to include it in the bindings directory BUT you
> would have todo a bit of *.pod documentation as for the other
> bindings, and there must be provisions for installing the module in
> the rrdtool tree without infesting the local php setup ...

hmmm, for the *.pod part:
Which parts need should be covered (mostly the procedural API is just a
wrapper around the raw librrd).

For the OOP part there will be docs available as soon as they gets
merged in and stable enough to not change too often.

The first version I'd be glad to include in the RDD tree would cover the
version without the OOP; and thus there's (except for some part's I'll
have to look up from the other bindings) nothing too wide open in that
regard.

And now for the build tree part: When buildung the PHP extension you
basically have three steps for compiling: phpize to create the header
stuff, ./configure to set up the build stuff and makefile and a make for
the actual building. Giving other root paths here should pretty much do
it. the often cited "make install" at the end is only necessary to copy
the compiled files into the PHP extension directory - thus can be
skipped for only building it. I'll investigate the actual phrazing though.
> cheers
> tobi

Regards,
BenBE.