[rrd-developers] RRD C API's for RRDCACHED

Florian Forster rrdtool at octo.it
Sat Nov 13 19:18:47 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:58:33AM +0000, Alex Bennee wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 19:39, Florian Forster <rrdtool at octo.it> wrote:
> > the RRDCacheD interface uses a set of separate functions, prefixed
> > by "rrdc_" (mnemonic: RRD Client). The functions are similar in
> > syntax to the thread-safe interface using the "_r" suffix.
>
> Is this the preferred method of calling? I've just been using
> rrd_update() with the RRDCACHED_ADDRESS environment variable set and
> it's been working fine. Did I miss something?

In *my* opinion it is the superior way of using the caching daemon;
using the environment varialbe is just a dirty hack to use the
functionality from unaltered applications.

Using the "client functions" has the great benefit that you *know*
there's a caching daemon addressed when reading the source code. If you
use the hack, you might wonder why "update" fails although "create"
didn't return an error, for example.

Also, for cache specific functions you have to use the interface anyway,
for example to send a "flush". Using a combination of both methods is
even more confusing.

Please keep in mind that this is merely my $.02.

Regards,
--octo
--
Florian octo Forster