[rrd-developers] RRDTOOL 1.4.4 fetch with RRDCACHED_ADDRESS

Florian Forster rrdtool at octo.it
Fri Nov 19 09:19:57 CET 2010

Hi swami,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 05:13:07PM -0800, swami wrote:
> 2) create rrd
>        /usr/local/third-party/rrd/bin/rrdtool  create /var/stats/rrd_data/remote_peer_data/rp4.rrd -s 3\

this doesn't work with the current SVN version of RRDtool: Because
CREATE is issued via the daemon as well, absolute paths are not allowed
for network sockets. Use a UNIX domain socket if you need absolute
paths.

> 3) update some values
>        /usr/local/third-party/rrd/bin/rrdtool update remote_peer_data/rp4.rrd N:10

> 4) telnet localhost 42217
>    PENDING rp4.rrd

This is odd: It should read:
  PENDING remote_peer_data/rp4.rrd

> 4) fetch now
>    /usr/local/third-party/rrd/bin/rrdtool fetch remote_peer_data/rp4.rrd AVERAGE
>    ERROR: opening 'remote_peer_data/rp4.rrd': No such file or directory

Works fine here. src/rrd_fetch.c hasn't been touched since the daemon
code was introduced and the daemon code is basically the same as the
other commands, so I doubt the problem is there. You could strace the
command to check if there's an error condition that's not reported, but
I believe it's more likely a file name was mixed up.

Regards,
—octo
--
Florian octo Forster