[rrd-developers] DS idea

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Mon Oct 11 09:04:15 CEST 2010

Alex,

Today Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> [...]

it would work for LAST but not for AVERAGE as higher interval RRAs
could not work of a the base step of 300 since it was set to 1.

> In case you worry about further consolidation: don't. I think there will
> always be that one corner case where someone wants the last of the input,
> and then use max for further consolidation. Or vice versa. Or similar.
> Sometimes rrdtool is just not the right tool for a job.
>
> Creating new DSTs is not the way to go imho. Especially not if the tool can
> do what is asked from it.

Do you agree that the GAUGELAST would also solve the problem ?

My motivation for this is that it would provide a good solution to
the 'I want my input value stored' questions coming up at regular
interval.