[rrd-developers] Making MRTG work with rrdcached

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 15 06:23:07 CEST 2010

Hi Steve,

Today Steve Shipway wrote:

> Is anyone currently working on making MRTG 2.16.x work correctly with
> rrdcached (RRDTool 1.4.x)?
>

> Currently (MRTG 2.16.4) it seems that slight changes are required to make it
> work with rrdcached in UNIX socket mode (and thresholding functionality is
> lost - due to no support for updatev in rrdcached), and it does not work at
> all with rrdcached in TCP socket mode (due primarily to having no support
> for rrdcreate and rrdinfo in rrdcached).
>

> If noone else is doing anything on this (I don't want to step on any toes)

I don't think anyone is working on this ...

> I'll try to get a patch submitted for MRTG to make support for UNIX mode
> smoother, and maybe also a patch for RRDs and rrdcached to allow a 'what
> functions are available' function call that can be used.  This would be
> expected to return a restricted list of commands if we're using rrdcached in
> tcp mode.

sounds interesting ... there are ideas on how to make updatev work
in rrdcached mode. It would require more of the functionality of
rrdtool to happen in memory befor flushing data to disk. This
should be possible but it would require some rather involved heart
surgery.

:-)