[rrd-developers] Distro patch to libtool on Debian Wheezy/Ubuntu Oneiric breaks compile of rrdtool (Was: Re: Compile failure due to libwrap on Ubuntu 11.10)

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Tue Dec 20 18:33:51 CET 2011

On 20 December 2011 15:46, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Yesterday Alex Bennee wrote:
>
>> On 19 December 2011 17:00, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>> > Alex,
>> >
>> > your system seems to be using a different version of  libtool ...
>> > so did you run MakeMakefile ?
>>
>> No, isn't that part of the configure/autogen stuff?
>
> MakeMakefile calls the auto* tools in a way so that all the right
> bits get put into place ...
>
> libtool gets created by libtoolize as far as I know ...

OK after much bisecting I've narrowed it down to a patch in libtool
2.4 added by Debian in
libtool 2.4-1 The result moves the processing of dependancy_libs
in libtool which breaks the passing of the flags in the subtle and
maddening way discussed.

I've attached the libtool patch for reference. Once I've figured out
what it's trying to achieve
I'll raise a bug with Debian/Ubuntu to fix their libtool and then
we'll finally be able to build a newer
rrdtool on Debian.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/