[rrd-developers] Distro patch to libtool on Debian Wheezy/Ubuntu Oneiric breaks compile of rrdtool (Was: Re: Compile failure due to libwrap on Ubuntu 11.10)

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Wed Dec 21 16:05:32 CET 2011

On 20 December 2011 20:08, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Today Alex Bennee wrote:

<snip>

>> OK after much bisecting I've narrowed it down to a patch in libtool
>> 2.4 added by Debian in
>> libtool 2.4-1 The result moves the processing of dependancy_libs
>> in libtool which breaks the passing of the flags in the subtle and
>> maddening way discussed.
>
> :-) cool ... maybe I am not using the 'standard' way of adding
> libraries ? will be glad to adapt ...

I suspect you are as the build works fine using a vanilla libtool from the
git repo. It's the patching done by Debian that regressed the behaviour.

What is your normal build system?

>> I've attached the libtool patch for reference. Once I've figured out
>> what it's trying to achieve
>> I'll raise a bug with Debian/Ubuntu to fix their libtool and then
>> we'll finally be able to build a newer
>> rrdtool on Debian.
>
> note on the rrdtool webpage there is a daily snapshot of rrdtool
> including all the configure stuff ...

Hmm good point. My Debian packaging was working straight of the
git-svn mirror of your upstream. Most packages work from the "dist"
tarball which includes all the configure junk. Having said that I think
there is a general move to moving more packaging to track upstream
repositories within some sort of version control because it makes it
easier for the maintainer to push patches upstream.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk