[rrd-developers] How to create a new Data Type and Consolidation Function?

long long_at_work at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 3 21:23:50 CET 2011

Hi,

We need to graph a COUNTER (as input) but for output, instead of a rate of
change, we simply need the difference against the previous reading (instead
of difference against the previous reading divided by the polling period in
seconds, as the existing COUNTER data type of RRDTool).

So, we need to create a new Data Type.

Also for Consolidation, we would like to simply add all the values, so a new
Consolidation Function is needed as well (in addition to the existing
AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, LAST).

The use case is we would like to have a total of all the count over the
measurement period (5 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, ...). So we need a total, not a
rate for 5 mins, then for 30 mins, 1 hours ... and so on.

We've been using Cacti, which uses RRDTool so we have a solid understand of
what RRDTool can do and can not do.

However, we have never tried to develop code for RRDTool before. Please let
us know any coding guidelines, patch submission process ... anything to help
us create a new Data Type and CF, make sure the graph generation is still
working, being able to patch our current RRDTool, contribute to your code
repository so the next release of RRDTool will have the new feature
built-in. Any of these information will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Long