[rrd-developers] Link issue with libdbi

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Fri Feb 4 00:26:17 CET 2011

Hi all:

[sending back to rrd-developers]

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:

> if you have build rrdtool on a system with libdbi installed you may
> have to link libdbi explicitly when compiling against librrd ...
> to be safe, just disable libdbi support in configure since you are
> most likely not going to use it anyway ...

Thanks Tobi and Martin for their responses.

I am just working with pre-built binary packages of rrdtool and I
believe most of them have libdbi enabled.  So it sounds like for
Ganglia, I will need to add a check to see if librrd was linked with
libdbi and if so, add -ldbi to the Ganglia Makefile.

I still have a few queries:

1) On Ubuntu/Debian, librrd.so (provided by librrd-dev) links against
libdbi.so.0 (provided by libdbi0) but librrd-dev does not actually
require libdbi0-dev that provides libdbi.so -- is this a bug with the
packaging of librrd-dev?
2) What's the best way for Ganglia to programmically check if the
installed librrd.so is linked against libdbi and subsequently add
-ldbi to its Makefile?

For those who are interested in seeing the problem in action, the
tarballs are here:

http://therealms.org/oss/ganglia/techpreview/

ganglia-3.2.0.2466.tar.gz was bootstrapped on RHEL5, and when built on
Ubuntu complains about missing /usr/lib/libdbi.so (which is provided
by libdbi0-dev)
ganglia-3.2.0.2468.tar.gz was bootstrapped on Ubuntu and builds fine
under Ubuntu without libdbi0-dev

To build, run `./configure --with-gmetad` then do `make` -- it would
error out while building gmetad.

Thanks!

Bernard