[rrd-developers] Anybody working on this? / Proposal

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Thu Mar 3 10:40:08 CET 2011

Am 03.03.2011 09:47, schrieb Tobias Oetiker:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Today Peter Stamfest wrote:
>> Proposal:
>>
>>    - extend the FETCH rrdcached command
>>    - implement UDEF (requires some URL handling stuff, but this could be
>> done using regexps)
>>    - add support code in the local rrd_fetch code similar to that for
>> libdbi specs
>>
>> Comments?
> in the trunk version of rrdtool there is code allowing to use
> remote data from rrdcached in rrdgraph ... a more generic approach
> might certainly be of interest ...
I think I read something about it, but I did not look into it in detail
so far.

> I agree that in the interesst of simpler commandlines a UDEF might
> be useful ...

Great! And do you think that using URLs makes sense? An extensible
mechanism would certainly allow for crazy things: Use HTTP URLs to
access rrdfiles over HTTP by first downloading them - not that it would
be very efficient, but...

And just to write it down for better reference: The proposed scheme is
intended to allow to use different rrdcached connections in one
invocation without resorting to environment variables.

Would it make sense to split responsibility for implementing this, so
that I do not trample on somebody elses code? Also note that I do not
have any code so far,  so there won't be patches by tomorrow...

peter

PS:  Sorry about the low information content of the original subject