[rrd-developers] announce: utility to restore RRDs from backup into used RRDs

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Tue May 31 09:51:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

I hope I didn't re-invent the wheel, but I could not find an existing
utility that helped me out.

Our situation was that we had backups of our RRDs from a pnp4nagios
setup and had to perform a disaster recovery in two steps:

1. Get the monitoring system started again (which then started
    gathering new data into new RRDs)

2. Get the historical data back from backup.

I wanted to minimize the time that we lost data for and thus wanted to
merge the data from both RRDs into a new one. I found merge-rrds which
wasn't quite what I needed so I adapted it and if anybody has a similar
need you can find my shot here:
https://bitbucket.org/ctheune/rrdmerge/overview

Comments and criticism welcome,
Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com
Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations