[rrd-developers] Portable RRD format revisted

Doug Leith doug.leith at nuim.ie
Sat Sep 24 15:21:16 CEST 2011

Picking up on an old thread, I recently found it necessary to port RRD files
between different machine architectures.  The simplest approach seemed to be
write a Perl module to read native RRD files and convert to/from a portable
format, which I've put on CPAN in case anyone is interested
(http://search.cpan.org/~dougleith/RRD-Editor/).   For the portable format I
just used the native format for Intel 32 bit platforms.

The reason for this post is to ask for some help with testing portability.

I've tested the ability of the Perl module to read/write native RRD files on
a few different Intel 32 bit and 64 bit platforms/OSes, and using qemu I've
also tested operation on MIPS 32bit, PowerPC 32 bit, ARM 32 bit, Sparc 32
bit and SH4 platforms.   I've posted details of test results at
http://www.glmonitoring.ie/rrdeditor/.  However, I'd be much happier with
testing on real rather than emulated non-Intel platforms, and also I haven't
been able to test any 64 bit non-Intel platforms.

If you have a non-Intel platform, could you help ?  Testing involves the
following steps:

1.  Download perl module from cpan using "cpan -i RRD::Editor"
2.  Download test script from http://www.glmonitoring.ie/rrdeditor/t.pl
3.  Run test with "perl t.pl".

t.pl uses RRDtool to create an example RRD file and checks that the perl
module can read it, and then vice versa.

Doug