[rrd-developers] Yet another RRD merge script

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Aug 20 02:53:08 CEST 2012

Unable to find a script to merge my RRD files as I wanted, I've taken to
writing my own generic one.

This new script will merge one or more RRD files, which do not need to have
the same DS or RRA definitions, to make a single RRD.  It can preserve a
configurable list of DS over the set, building different RRA from whichever
available RRA match the closest, merging RRA where they cover different time
windows.  You can specify longer or shorter RRA length, and even change the
step value as you go (though this is not yet working quite right).  It
should also be able to use one RRD to fill in the gaps in another, though
this is still work in progress.

It doesn't seem to work with HW RRAs yet, and I haven't tested with
calculated DSs.

Is there anyone out there who'd like to have a copy for testing purposes,
and feed back patches/requests/bugs?

The motivation for this script is to migrate our MRTG system (32bit,
multiple archived copies of RRDs) to our new system (64bit, single
extra-long RRD) but it makes sense to support a more generic set of
requirements.

Steve

  _____

Steve Shipway