[rrd-developers] Distro patch to libtool on Debian Wheezy/Ubuntu Oneiric breaks compile of rrdtool (Was: Re: Compile failure due to libwrap on Ubuntu 11.10)

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Tue Jan 10 13:16:40 CET 2012

On 5 January 2012 16:52, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 05:33:51PM +0000, Alex Bennee wrote:
>> On 20 December 2011 15:46, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
>> > Hi Alex,

<snip>
>> > libtool gets created by libtoolize as far as I know ...
>>
>> OK after much bisecting I've narrowed it down to a patch in libtool
>> 2.4 added by Debian in
>> libtool 2.4-1 The result moves the processing of dependancy_libs
>> in libtool which breaks the passing of the flags in the subtle and
>> maddening way discussed.
>
> Can you point me to that discussion?

Apologies for the delay, I've only just got back into work following
the birth of my daughter. GMane has split the discussion but you can
see it here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.rrdtool.devel/4132
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.rrdtool.devel/4155

>> I've attached the libtool patch for reference.
<snip>

> The patch prevents reading the dependancy_libs for cases it
> shouldn't read it, and so avoids unneeded linking to libraries.

Well in this case dependancy_libs should have -lwrap in them but it
get squashed. However it could be that RRDTool's autoconf magic is
incorrect in the way is specifies libwrap:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/browser/trunk/program/configure.ac?rev=2247#L105

> My guess would be that you expect to be able to save linker flags
> in dependancy_libs, but I can't think of a good reason why you
> would want to do that.

Isn't this all driven by autotools? The only slight weirdness is
rrdcached uses a different .la file (librrd_th):

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/browser/trunk/program/src/Makefile.am?rev=2247#L116

But I thought the .la files where set up by autotools so should Do The
Right Thing (tm). However it's entirely possible the automagic is
being set-up wrong. Any advice gratefully received. I'm kinda lost
digging through the rabbit hole that is the autogenerated scripts and
makefiles which is why I went to the source.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
http://www.half-llama.co.uk