[rrd-developers] moving rrdtool source to github

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 5 09:04:41 CEST 2012

Hi Sebastian,

Today Sebastian Harl wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 04:54:14PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > I have made a first attempt at moving the rrdtool source to github
> >
> > https://github.com/oetiker/RRDtool1x
> >
> > while the history was preserved somewhat, it seems that the
> > relationships between files in the different parts of the svn tree
> > did not travel all that well ...
>
> Git does not record any copy/move operations at all but rather
> automatically detects *similar* files.
>
> The 'diff.renames' config setting and 'git log --follow <file>' then
> provide means to access that information.
>
> > one idea I had creating some system which checks out the individual
> > svn revisions and then semi automatically copy them into a git repo
> > altering the copy instructinons as the repo structure is changeing
>
> Can you provide an example for what kind of structure changes you're
> talking about.
>
> *Possibly*, tools like git-filter-branch might help cleaning up the Git
> repo after converting it using git-svn.

I used the svn2git tool to convert the existing repo ...

this did work in the sense that it ran to the end, BUT I guess my
use of the svn mandated directory structure is slightly divergent
from what svn2git is expecting ... so for example

/tags/1.4.7 matches /branches/1.4/program

while I guess the tool would expect it to point to the top level
directory of the branch.

also, over the course of the project I have moved directories
around on occasion ...