[rrd-developers] RRD PostgreSQL extension

Dustin Fisch fooker at lab.sh
Wed Sep 12 11:57:09 CEST 2012

Hi,

> as fahr as I understand it, the extension would sit in the server,
> this means the BLOB would remain where it is ...
Right.

Expecting, there would be a SQL function like "rrd_update(OID
rrd_file, DOUBLE value)", the data transmitted over the network for
such a function call are a the 4 bytes for the value, the 8 bytes for
the OID, a few bytes for the function name and the overhead for the
transaction.

> > Also it's no big deal to organize the history table alongside
> > with the last value, and let the SQL engine handle the data in a
> > traditional way.
RRD provides some features, which are hard to implement in classical
SQL, like bucketing, consolidation of older data and some other cool
stuff. Even aggregation like MIN and MAX per time bucket is faster in
RRD than in PostgreSQL.

cheers
fooker

--