[rrd-developers] Unexpected behaviour of PREDICT and PREDICTSIGMA

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Apr 26 11:02:49 CEST 2014

So, assuming stptr is zero based, this means my `analysis of the behaviour of negative shift counts is correct.

My question, though, is more to ask if this was intended by design, or if it is a 'feature'?

Intuitively, I would have expected this:

CDEF:y=s,-n,x,PREDICT

to result in shifts of s, 2s, 3s, .... ns

However, it actually results in shifts of 0, s, 2s, ... (n-1)s

Either way, it can't be changed now as it would potentially alter existing behaviour...

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead