[rrd-developers] Question: rrdtool pipe interface - restore support?

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Tue Feb 25 08:33:59 CET 2014

I have implemented this. And yes, it might be useful. I might support it
in my java interface to rrd.

My implementation can be found in branch pipe-restore in my repo at
https://github.com/stamfest/rrdtool-1.x#

Note that I haven't rebased/merged the stuff into master. If I should do
this, just say so.

peter

Am 2014-02-16 10:00, schrieb Tobi Oetiker:
> I think it should be possible to get this to work since I am using the
> pull parser in rrdtool restore
>
> cheers
>
> Tobias Oetiker
> tobi at oetiker.ch <mailto:tobi at oetiker.ch>
> 062 775 9902
>
> On 16.02.2014, at 03:21, Stanislav Sinyagin <ssinyagin at yahoo.com
> <mailto:ssinyagin at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>> I don't think it does. Why isn't a usual file good enough? You can
>> store it in tmpfs if the i/o speed is the concern. But usually
>> rrdtool is slower than disk i/o anyway.
>>
>> What I typically do, is execute rrdtool dump from an SSH command, so
>> that its remote stdout is the ssh's local stdout, and save the XML to
>> a local temporary file. Next the local rrdtool restore would slurp
>> that file.
>>
>> If you need the XML to tweak some RRD parameter, you can use
>> RRD::Tweak Perl module instead.

Dipl.-Ing. Peter Stamfest     UNIX, Networking & Computing Consultant
Tel: +43/699/10711205         Software Development - Internetservices
E-Mail: peter at stamfest.at     WWW: http://stamfest.at/