[rrd-developers] Introducing: rrd modify

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Tue Mar 4 23:05:36 CET 2014

Am 2014-02-27 22:50, schrieb Peter Stamfest:
> Am 2014-02-27 12:38, schrieb Peter Stamfest:
>> Am 2014-02-26 15:24, schrieb Tobias Oetiker:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> thanks ... its merged ...
>>>
>> Which leaves me to ask for feedback to the command syntax I invented.
>> Currently the syntax is
>>
>> DEL:<ds-name>  for DS deletion and standard rrdcreate DS:<...> syntax
>> for DS addition.
>>
>> - which made sense.
>>
>> When changing RRAs I'm thinking about:
>>
>> DELRRA:<index>   with <index> being the index spit out by rrdinfo for
>> deletion and standard rrdcreate RRA:<....> syntax for RRA creation.
>>
>> Changing the number of rows for RRAs could be:
>>
>> RRA#<index>:[+-=]<number> to add/remove/set the number of RRA entries
>>
>> Doing automatic consolidation for modified RRAs will likely only work
>> for AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, LAST   consolidation functions.
> The rrdmodify-master branch should now contain the code  needed for
> these operations. It received light testing. Currently NO consolidation
> for newly added rows takes place.

I have just pushed major changes to the rrdmodify-master branch. This
version should allow for addition of RRAs with proper population of rows
based on available data. This includes the current CDP for seamless
updates!

The code most definitly has bugs. It also likely contains
implicit/hidden assumptions causing problems with row/RRA additions. (I
did not in-depth test different CFs or the handling of NAN values - but
I kindly ask you to check if this works.

I have also added a tests directory containing some scripts to test the
changes. Having said this: We should really try to collect tests and to
maybe get a test suite to check RRD operations.

Tobi: please consider to pull / merge the branch.

peter