[rrd-developers] RRDcached performance issues (from Users mailinglist)

Steve Schnepp steve.schnepp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:53:38 CET 2015

Hi,

I'm a dev guy from the Munin project(*). We have some heavy RRD among our
users.

Some hints from the trenches:

* I discovered that having multiple rrdcached daemon is actually very bad
for performance. The only way to shard them efficiently is to have them
handling a different FS with different disk subsystem. (I didn't try with
SSD btw)
* For some workloads tmpfs+sync (note that a simple cp might be more
efficient than a rsync) is simply the best.
* You have to avoid doing reads on rrds, as it flushes. (1.4.x, don't know
about 1.5)
* A very big -w and -z setting (think 3600) helps, as it give rrdcached the
most flexibility to reorder writes
* Always flush manually before closing (FLUSHALL on the socket), to avoid
too long restart times. The restarts journal read is way too slow, a you
noticed.

Hopes it helps.

(*) http://mm0.eu/