[rrd-users] Re: Maximum Argument Length?

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 6 18:48:24 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Maximum Argument Length?:

*> Thanks for the quick response.  I'm continously updating these indivdual
*> RRDs every 5 minutes.  Rather than having to add another rrd for Global/
*> Region/Market views I just chose to add the values from their respective
*> RRDs.  This potentially can get to be a large amount of arguments.  Would
*> you recommend going ahead like this or start creating their own RRD now
*> and updating with the rest.  These are GAUGE type RRDs so I don't run the
*> risk of Counter wraps.  With 400 DEFs it's only taking 2-4 seconds to
*> generate the gif so right now it's not a problem but I don't want to
*> continue this route if in the future I might run into problems.o
*>
*> One reason I'm inclinded to sum all the parts is because I will not lose
*> any historical data for a global view.  Is there a utility, or how
*> hard would to write one, that could exract the samples from x amount
*> of RRDs and store the sums of each sample into one RRD?

there is the fetch call in perl which would allow yout todo this ... but as
I said, there should not be any limits in the perl module ...

any graphs available ?

*>
*> Also, is there a way to get it to graph smoother lines on a step of
*> 3600?  It's rather blocky otherwise?

not currently, the only possibility is to have a lower step ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> Cliff
*>
*>
*> Tobias Oetiker <oetiker at ee.ethz.ch> writes:
*> > Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Maximum Argument Length?:
*> >
*> > *> Was is the maximum amount of arguments that the perl shared
*> > *> module can take when graphing a set of rrds?  I've sucessfully
*> > *> got about 400 DEFS across 200 RRDS but I can't seem to get it
*> > *> to work with about 600 DEFS.
*> >
*> > there should be no limit ...
*> >
*> > cheers
*> > tobi
*> > *>
*> > *>
*> >
*> > --
*> > /_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich
*> >  / // _ \/ _ \/ / TEL: +41(0)1-6325286  FAX:...1517  ICQ: 10419518
*> > /_/ \.__/_.__/_/ oetiker at ee.ethz.ch http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker
*>
*>

--