[rrd-users] Fetching data from RRA's

W. James Showalter, Jr. gamma at mintaka.iern.disa.mil
Mon Aug 16 18:40:57 MEST 1999

To make certain I understand about the fetch command, consider the
following statements to create the db.

rrdtool create test.rrd -b 934495200 --step 600 \
DS:min:GAUGE:1200:1:3000 \
DS:avg:GAUGE:1200:1:3000 \
DS:max:GAUGE:1200:1:3000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:.5:1:144 \
RRA:AVERAGE:.5:12:48

The first RRA is supposed to contain a single data point every 10 minutes
for 24 hours.  The second RRA is supposed to contain data points based on
a running average of the previous 12 points.

Now, I assume that if I want to fetch the contents of the second RRA, I type:

rrdtool fetch test.rrd AVERAGE -r 7200

Since every data point is based on 7200 seconds (2 hours) worth of data.
However, I keep getting the data for the 24 hour RRA. Am I
misunderstanding something?  I did a dump and the data is definitely
there.

Thanks,
Jim