[rrd-users] Re: MRTG to RRD XML file

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 18 02:10:25 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: MRTG to RRD XML file:

*> >
*> > Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: MRTG to RRD XML file:
*> >
*> > *>   make sure to use GAUGE datasource types.
*> > *>   make sure to use a start time that is about 800 days ago.
*> > *>   MRTG stores 2 datasources
*> > *>   MRTG stores (approx.):
*> > *>       600 times  5 minute samples, time x to x+50h
*> > *>       600 times 30 minute samples, time x+50h to x+14d2h
*> > *>       600 times  2 hour samples,   time x+14d2h to x+64d2h
*> > *>       732 times  1 day samples.    time x+64d2h to x+796d2h
*> > *>   RRAs will always be from the beginning (unlike MRTG) so if you do
*> > *>   not want to loose any data, you need to create your RRAs larger than
*> > *>   600 rows !
*> > *> - Copy this database
*> >
*> > I actually think this approach would require you to have one RRD with one
*> > AVERAGE type RRAs and another one with MAX type RRAs ... otherwhise the MAX
*> > stuff will not be kept the way it was ...
*> >
*>
*> MRTG logfiles are already calculated values so you need to insert them
*> in an RRD file using GAUGE. Afterwards, you can change the datasource
*> type into COUNTER.

yes this is correct ...

*> AFAIK the incoming data will be processed inside the CDP prep stuff and
*> as there is one per RRA, these will behave differently for AVERAGE and
*> MAX RRAs. Am I wrong in this ?

yes, and this is the idea ... so you need two rrds with GAUGE data source
and one with AVERAGE RRAs and another with MAX RRAs and the merge as you
explained ...

cheers
tobi
*>