[rrd-users] Re: [rrd-developers] ANNOUNCE: rrdtool-0.99.52 (PNG release II)

Tobi Oetiker tobi at caida.org
Wed Jul 14 20:04:20 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-developers] ANNOUNCE:...:

*> Tobi,
*>
*> Do you have any performance numbers for generating PNG versus GIF files?

yep, the piped example in the example directory creates both ...

pngs aare about 20-30% faster to generate and only about 40% the size of lzw
free gifs ...

cheers
tobi

*>
*> Thanks,
*> Blair
*>
*>
*> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*> >
*> > Hi,
*> >
*> > Sorry to not announce 1.0.0 today, but there have just been too many changes
*> > to feel certain to release 1.0.0 just yet ...
*> >
*> > I hope to be able to release on Thursday ...
*> >
*> > Here goes the story. Last Week Thomas Boutell pulled gdlib from his
*> > website, stating problems with licensing issues ... (the good old gif story
*> > again). This has motivated me to add PNG support to rrdtool, so that we are
*> > not dependent on GIF anymore. Now gif is still the default output format,
*> > but I am not using lzw compression any more. The --imgformat PNG switch
*> > allows to go to make rrdtool graph output PNG ...
*> >
*> > Adding PNG support required me to add zlib and libpng to the rrdtool
*> > distribution. I am not sure how portable the whole tool is now. I have tested
*> > on Solaris and Linux (Debian) ... it seems to work, but I would be
*> > very happy if some more people could give rrdtool a whirl ...
*> >
*> > CHANGELOG:
*> > ----------
*> > 0.99.52
*> > From: Tobi
*> > 0) repackaged to recover from error in MANIFEST
*> > 0.99.51
*> > From: Blair
*> > 0) reduced number of syscalls in rrd_update by 30%
*> > From: Tobi
*> > 0) added <RRD:SETENV to rrdcgi ... allows you to setvariables like TZ
*> >    to do things in different timezones ...
*> > 1) make sure no < and > are in data imported from cgi ...
*> >    replace occurrences by _
*> > 2) switched to gdlib 1.3
*> > 3) added support for PNG output format ... (small changelog line for a lot
*> > of work .
*> > .)
*> > 4) fixed default for -b option in rrd_create
*> > 5) Switched to lucidatypewriter font
*> >
*> > From: Alex
*> > 0) fixed Last-Modified: and Expires: to output dates compatible with
*> >    http standard.
*> >
*> > --
*> >  ______    __   _
*> > /_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, hacking RRDTOOL&MRTG @  Caida for the Summer
*> >  / // _ \/ _ \/ / +1 619 822 0882 / tobi at caida.org / www.caida.org/~tobi
*> > /_/ \.__/_.__/_/ _______________________________________________________
*> >
*> > --
*> > * To unsubscribe from the rrd-developers mailing list, send a message with the
*> >   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-developers-request at list.ee.ethz.ch

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, hacking RRDTOOL&MRTG @  Caida for the Summer
 / // _ \/ _ \/ / +1 619 822 0882 / tobi at caida.org / www.caida.org/~tobi