[rrd-users] Re: data resampling Q

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Oct 13 23:02:43 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: data resampling Q:

*> On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*>
*> > the averaging has to occur because you are not inputting your updates at the
*> > exact 300 second intervals but somewhere along the way ... therefore rrdtool
*> > integrates the space below the curve and stores the values appropriate for
*> > the points in time where the 300 second intervals occur thesse points are
*> > when the number of seconds since 1970 modulo 300 equals 0
*>
*> so the closer i get `rrdtool update` to the rrdtool 300 sec interval
*> (epoch time), the more accurate my samples will become?

sure ... but if you need more acuracy you should decreass the sampling
interval so that sampled data shows what you are looking for with sufficient
accuracy ... aiming for the 300 points is not the right aproach here ...

cheers
tobi

*> --
*> Scott Walters