[rrd-users] Total Throughput Stats via RRD

Jason Jordan guru at swami.pcguru.com.au
Thu Apr 6 11:43:12 MEST 2000

Howdy Folks,

No mailing list would be complete without stupid questions, so to keep
the quota up, here is todays...

I'm using MRTG with 14all.cgi (and therefore RRD) to monitor a bunch of
routers, switches, hubs and servers.

Manglement have just asked me if I can provide them with total
throughput stats for particular traffic-billable WAN connections (ie.
the Internet).

They want these statistics retrospectively - and I told them it's
impossible for me to analyse things I haven't logged.

However, it occurred to me that RRD is effectively recording total data
throughput for each interface/device.

What I need to do is calculate a total for each calendar month (or some
abitrary period of time).

Anyone done this?  Anyone know how?  Is this a dumb question?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Jas