[rrd-users] MRTG base --> RRDtool calculation base value

Michael Van Camp mcamp at alchemy.net
Tue Aug 1 05:18:41 MEST 2000

I am constructing a traffic monitoring/billing system using RRDtool and Perl, replacing a system based on MRTG.  I am therefore in the process of comparing RRDtool graphs to MRTG graphs, and have come up with the following question.

RRDtool has a default calculation base of 1000, which the manual states is correct for network traffic, but that the base can be changed to 1024 for purposes of graphing memory.  I know a KByte is 1024 Bytes, and that is the unit for traffic, so why would 1000 be correct for traffic?  Is it that 1000 as a unit is correct for traffic in bits/Kilobits/Megabits versus bytes?

Also, does MRTG use 1000 as a calculation unit when graphing, or 1024?

Thanks!

Michael Van Camp
Programmer
mcamp at alchemy.net