[rrd-users] Re: RRD Makefile fix for GNU-centric install assumption

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Fri Aug 4 23:37:45 MEST 2000

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 02:54:49PM -0500, Dave Plonka wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 09:35:19AM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
> >
> >   The current RRD makefile uses portable installation code most places,
> > but in one place (installing Perl modules) it uses the "install -d"
> > construct which is specific to GNU install, and doesn't work on OSes
> > using the BSD-derived install.  (In this case, BSD/OS.)
> >
> >   May I recommend modifying the sole "install -d" to use something more
> > like:
> >
> > install-data-local:
> >         test -d $(PERLLIBS)/auto/RRDs \
> >         || mkdir $(PERLLIBS)/auto/RRDs \
> >         || exit 1; \
> >         chmod 755 $(PERLLIBS)/auto/RRDs
>
> The GNU-way to do portable mkdirs, installs, and such is to use GNU
> shtool, which Ralf Engelschall, of WML fame, etc. has been working on:
>
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/shtool/

  I suppose, but test, mkdir, and chmod ought to be universally
available, and I noticed that same construct is used several places
elsewhere in the makefile.  (Surely you don't think I'd write original
code if I could steal it!)

  Anyway, no big deal, just thought I might save future users of
hard-line BSD systems a few minutes of grief.
  -- Clifton

 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr at lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.