[rrd-users] Re: inserting historical data to rrdtool

Adam Treister adam at treestar.com
Fri Aug 18 08:26:33 MEST 2000

----->>> On 17-Aug-2000, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>   RRDtool needs its input in a sequential order.  You cannot go
>   back in time to insert values or to replace values.
>
>   The resolution is simple:  sort your input by time.
--------------

I got stuck on this one too.  I found that when I used rrdtool to graph
short time spans my program worked fine, but over 90 days and it was always
failing.  It turned out that the iteration through the directory of logs
would only occasionally deliver the files out of chronological order, but
when it did my program would fail.

If rrdtool preallocates the whole db when its created, seems like it'd be
simple to allow it to insert the data in any order.  When the data is
coming from disperse sources or overlaps between files, this would make
life easier.    Not a whole lot, but a little.

Adam
Adam Treister	   Tree Star, Inc.
ph: 1-650-508-9349  fax: 1-650-508-9186
adam at treestar.com   <http://www.treestar.com>